Drum Lessons in Portland, OR
In Backbeat Music Academy’s drum lessons, students learn everything they need to start playing in bands whether that is one of our rock band classes, one of their own making, or their school’s concert, marching or jazz band. We adjust the content of the lesson to match the student’s goals, whatever that may be.
What You Will Learn
Our system was crafted by Backbeat Music Academy’s founder John Lamb, who has written several Amazon Best-Selling books on music education. The system pulls back the framework of how rhythm works so that everyone can find it and learn to groove. The simple system is low-pressure by design and seeks to empower the student to guide their own learning.
The drum skills that are easiest to master and will confer the highest ability to the students are taught first. This ensures that our students get off to a fast start and that they are able to play the songs they want to sooner than they thought possible. These skills break down into:
- Musical Skills: When students understand how music works, they can hear what’s going on in any music they listen to and they can see how a song is built. This insight allows them to learn and memorize far faster than they could without it and facilitates songwriting, improvisation and understanding how to play in a group.
- Understanding Directions Skills: You can’t succeed unless you know what to do. This is why understanding what the directions re is so important, and reading staff notation is a key part of that. It is also critical in defusing confusion and intimidation, the real bugbears of fast learning.
- Learning Skills: Great learners make great musicians. One of the founding principles of Backbeat’s teaching method is that if you explain to the student what the teacher is doing and why, then they learn faster. We teach our students the same teaching techniques that we teach our teachers and walk them through the steps in every lesson. This way, the student begins to learn how to sort out what needs to be done and how to use the mental tools required to do it best.
- Physical Skills: Playing the drums is fundamentally athletic, so we make sure our students understand that technique is a physical skill and the movements that are required to play the drums as well as proper posture and the fundamentals of good movement.
- Social Skills: Music is shared. In order to play effective music, the musician must tune in to both fellow band members and the audience. This requires being able to play their own part while listening to those around them.
- Performance Skills: Thinking about what you are doing during a performance is a great way to underperform. Our drum lessons are designed to teach our students how to handle performance anxiety and tips and tricks to direct their attention in ways that will aid their performance instead.
Who Is The Ideal Student
Our staff is great at teaching everyone, from those who have never picked up sticks, to advanced level students who wish to pursue music as a career. In short, it doesn’t matter what your ability level is because here at Backbeat Music Academy we have got something to offer all levels of ability. For kids younger than 7, check out our band programs for designed for young kids. We can do private lessons, but this might be a better option for them.
We know through extensive experience that playing music with other people –either in recitals or with bands– gives students the highest levels of enjoyment. It also gives a real sense of accomplishment. This is essential for self-motivation when learning how to play. In addition to focusing on the individual instrument of your choice, we also focus on performances.
Music Is Fun. Rule number one in our lessons is that music is fun. Why? Three big reasons. First, music itself is fun and if you aren’t having fun while playing music, then you’re doing it wrong. We don’t want our students to develop bad habits, so we make sure that all our students remain musical – and that means having fun.
Second, great learners make great musicians. in order to get to where they want to go, our students need to have good learning technique so they can learn faster. The brain learns best while playing, so if the student is having fun, then they are able to learn faster. Third, happy students are motivated students.
Third, the biggest problem with music lessons isn’t talent, and it isn’t motivation. The biggest problem in music lessons is intimidation. If a student feels inwardly that they won’t be able to succeed (research says this is the rule, not the exception), then they won’t be in a state of mind where they can learn fast. By making sure the student is having fun while knocking out critical skills, we level up our student to the point where they start to understand music and feel like it is something they could do.
Music is meant to be shared. Taking private lessons and never playing music with others is like dribbling a soccer ball around your house but never playing in a game. It misses the point of music, which is connection. This is the heart of music and the source for most of the real fulfillment in music-making.
People do what they think will work. The effectiveness of your choices depends on the accuracy of your assumptions. We teach this to our students because it empowers them with the single most effective way to improve their performance. Each action is a choice, and the best way to change your action is to change your choices. The best way to change your choices is to change the assumptions those choices were based on.
Our teachers use this insight to observe why a student is making a mistake, backtracking their choices to figure out the student’s assumptions. This allows the teacher to direct the student to the most effective way to improve, short-circuiting wasted practice time and much frustration. After all, music is meant to be fun.
Who Are The Drum Teachers
Starting with founder John Lamb, all of Backbeat’s drums teachers all extensive education and performance history. They’ve got music degrees from prestigious schools like Berklee and performed nationally or internationally. Most importantly, they are all dedicated teachers who are trained to give the best education and experience possible.
Prices for Drum Lessons in Portland, OR
Backbeat Music offers an easy flat-rate packages for drum lessons. Lessons are scheduled per month, so you get 4 or 5 lessons. We also offer unlimited rescheduling. Makeup lessons can be used on any instrument with any teacher.
30 Minute Lesson Monthly Package: 145/month
60 Minute Lesson Monthly Package: 259/month
60 Minute Weekly group Class Package: 109/month
30 Minute Lesson: 39/each
60 Minute Lesson: 75/each
What You Should Do Next
Simply call/text us at (503) 290-5090 or click the link below to schedule a free trial lesson.